TO AVAIL 10% DISCOUNT CONTACT ADITYA VARMA ON 9556196666
The World Law Forum is currently organising a conference on Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation (SLAPP). The conference coincides with the Global Launch of World Law Forum, which has since its establishment in 2017 undertaken several initiatives on key issues in several countries, including Australia where we organised two conferences that received overwhelming response. The conference on SLAPP in New Delhi is scheduled for the 20th of October, 2018 (Saturday).
World Law Forum is a United Kingdom-based independent, non-partisan, international community of change-makers committed to promoting the rule of law and transforming the world through law. World Law Forum is committed to reducing disparity between communities and facilitating conflict resolution and peacemaking. We stand to united a new generation of collaborators and leaders through Advocacy, Education, Innovation and Research.
Discussion on SLAPP is more important than ever, especially in the context of India which has seen a drastic rise in SLAPP cases in the recent past. Every year hundreds of people are sued for speaking out against governments, politicians and corporations. Multi-million dollar lawsuits are filed against individual citizens and groups for circulating petitions, writing to public officials, speaking at, or even just attending, public meetings, organising boycotts and engaging in peaceful demonstrations. We aim to discuss this highly relevant issue by bringing together intellectuals who can provide both sides of the story - and discuss on whether India needs an Anti-SLAPP legislation like in the US and Canada.
This conference aims to:
* Raise awareness of the SLAPP phenomenon and explore the applicability and effectiveness of Anti-SLAPP laws;
· Create a dialogue between journalists, lawyers and policy makers to protect freedom of expression and promote equality;
· Allow for community-building and encourage change makers to join the World Law Forum
· Witness and support the launch of World Law Forum
· Hear from influential journalists, human rights advocates, academics, lawyers and have your questions answered by our panel of speakers
· Learn about SLAPP, whistle-blowing and retaliation and relevant domestic and international case studies
· Learn about responsible freedom of expression
· Develop an understanding of Anti-SLAPP laws around the world and their effectiveness
· Gain insight on the SLAPP phenomenon and the applicability of Anti-SLAPP laws from other jurisdictions in the context of India
· Network with leaders of now and leaders of tomorrow.
· Obtain one free annual World Law Forum membership
Who should attend?
· Students (law, humanities, political science, international relations, communications)
· Members and Supporter of NGOs
· Civil Servants
· Change makers
· Ram Jethmalani: Senior Advocate & Member of Parliament
· Rajeev Dhavan: Senior Advocate & Eminent Jurist
· Aman Lekhi: Additional Solicitor General, Government of India
· Vrinda Grover: Advocate, Supreme Court of India
· Sidharth Vardarajan: Founder - The Wire
· Paranjoy Guha Thakura: Senior Journalist
· Rajshree Chandra: A/Professor, University of Delhi
· Sucheta Dalal*: Managing Editor, Money life
· Dilip Cherian: Consulting Partner, Perfect Relations
· 9:00 - 15:30 Conference on SLAPP
· 15:30 - 17:00 World Law Forum Global Launch
· 17:00 - 18:00 Global Launch Reception (Invitation-only)
NCUI Auditorium, 3, August Kranti Marg, Siri Institutional Area, New Delhi - 110016
· Freedom of expression vs Access to Justice
· Responsible freedom of expression
· Whistle-blowing, Retaliation and SLAPP
· United Nations: Retaliation and Whistle blowing
· Corporate Governance and Culture Shift
· Emergence of SLAPP in India
· How far do existing laws address SLAPP suits?
· Differentiating legitimate lawsuit and SLAPPs
· Necessity of Anti-SLAPP legislation in India
· Professionals: INR 2800
· Young Professionals: INR 1800
· Students: INR 900
· Young Professionals are persons of 29 years of age or below at the time of the conference.
· Students are persons enrolled in a full-time course/degree at an accredited university. There is no restriction on age.
· Young Professional and Student ticket holders are required to present a valid ID/Student card on the day of the conference in order to enjoy subsidised rates and be admitted. Amounts include GST but exclude Townscript transaction fee. Please refer to our Townscript registration page for the total amount payable.
For more information, please visit: https://www.worldlawforum.org/wlf-launch-new-delhi-2018.html